Oregon speed dating
The buildings had false fronts (there was still one these false fronted buildings standing as late as 1997). The railroad facilities included a four-stall engine house, yard trackage and a water tank.There was a mill called the Eccles Mill near Austin.Oregon Lumber Company built logging tracks down the Middle Fork and had branches up the draws and creeks to supply logs to the new mill.The lumber was then shipped on the Sumpter Valley Railroad to Baker. At this time off-highway logging trucks began hauling logs in to the mill.
There were other sawmills in the area which were the Baker White Pine mill on Crawford Creek, the Stoddard Brothers Lumber Company, later becoming Stoddard Lumber Company, did a lot of logging in the local area, hauling logs on their own trains in to their mill in Baker.
* (In about 1917 the Oregon Lumber Company built a new double-sided sawmill about a mile down the Middle Fork of the John Day River from Austin.
A company owned town was built for the mill workers and was named Batesville. This mill remained in full operation until October 1975, when a new mill was put into operation in John Day by Edward Hines Lumber Company, the owners at that time.
Today Bates along with its saw mill, its railroad and all of the people who once lived there now only exist as memories and faces in old photos of the former residents.
The technique of logging in the beginning at Austin and Bates was simple. In those days of the early 1900s most types of work did involve hard, physical labor.
The means were served family style in ample proportions.